A quick guide to planning a family
Remember the last vacation you took and how much time you spent planning it? Now consider how significant a family is, and multiply your planning accordingly. Family planning is one of the most important things we can do in our lives.
- Having a baby is a big commitment. Most new parents don't realize how much a baby will cost, so ask your friends to get a better idea of what they spend on supplies.
- Is everything else in your life financially stable? Do you have a place to live? If your family is growing, will you need to find a new home in the near future? These are all things to consider when family planning.
- Start bank accounts for your kids as soon as they are born and don't access these until you need to pay for education or another significant investment. Investing for the very distant future may be the most important family financial planning you do.
Planning for children
Once you have children, everything in your life will revolve around them. For some people, it's easier to start making changes before giving birth. These changes can include the following:
- Relocating to a kid-friendly area. When it's time to bring baby to the neighborhood, perhaps that neighborhood should be near a school and parks. These will be indispensable assets from about three years and up.
- A new career path. It may be time to give up the three-hour commute and look for something closer to home if you want to spend any time with your family. Women who plan on transitioning to stay-at-home motherhood or those who want to reduce their hours might want to start that change at least a year in advance.
- Home renovations. As much as you might anticipate wanting to put in those new kitchen cupboards three years from now, if you want to bring baby into the world sooner than that, have the project finished first. You will be exhausted from midnight feedings and will want to spend every waking hour with your little one, not attaching drawer pulls. Similarly, construction is not good for youngster's health, so throw up that primer and paint before birth.
- Health issues. If you are recovering from an injury or illness, it might be advisable to wait before getting pregnant. Consult your physician for the best time to start natural family planning and trying to conceive. The impact of family planning on health care delivery is significant: your doctor can help you best if you have a plan.
If you still don't feel comfortable with your family planning, do an online search to find a family planning clinic in your area. Professionals there can help you with the basics and give you the tools you need to succeed.
Determine Your Parenting Style
By looking at your friends, family members and parents it's apparent that all parents have different styles.
read more / Parenting