Easy Alternatives for Healthy Eating
Eating right can be tough when we're surrounded by fast and easy food choices that can replace good food nutrition. The key to healthy cooking and healthy recipes is to take stock of the ingredients you choose to include. You can find healthy food recipes that take the guesswork out of choosing the right ingredients, or you can develop your own substitutes for unhealthy ingredients.
To increase the healthy benefits of the food you make, there are some easy choices that can apply to almost any recipe. Healthy cooking recipes follow a few key ideas:
- Use lemon juice instead of salad dressing.
- Use sweeteners instead of sugar.
- Use skim instead of whole-fat milk. Another alternative is soy products or goat milk.
- Use margarine instead of butter. An even healthier alternative is applesauce or cooking spray.
- Use egg whites instead of the whole egg, but remember that you'll need to double the amount called for in the recipe.
- Use yogurt instead of sour cream.
- Use lean ground beef or substitute ground chicken or turkey.
- Use seasonings such as garlic powder or celery seed instead of salt.
- Use honey mustard instead of mayo.
- Use whole wheat flour.
- Used rolled oats instead of bread crumbs.
- Use brown or wild rice instead of white.
Heart Healthy Recipes
Even if you don't suffer from heart disease, eating right can ensure that it'll keep beating strong for years to come. When you're thinking about heart health, there are a few simple rules to follow:
- Lower your intake of saturated fat, trans fat and cholesterol. Choose products low in fat, such as lean meat products and dairy foods that are 1 percent or skim.
- Limit foods high in fats and cholesterol, such as butter and fatty meats. Try to avoid baked and snack foods made with oils, creamy sauces or dressings.
- Choose foods with mono-unsaturated fats such as nuts, and poly-unsaturated fats such as seeds and oily fish.
- Eat a diet high in vegetables, fruits, whole grains and high-fiber products.
- Limit processed and refined foods.
Find Healthy Recipes Online
Finding healthy cooking recipes or alternatives to less-than-ideal food choices can be easy. There are tons of online tools that will allow you to find substitutes for your recipes that will allow you to eat right while still enjoying great taste. It's also easy to find websites that focus on healthy eating and offer entire healthy recipes that won't require any substitutes.
If you're feeling a little overwhelmed by the idea of trying to change your eating habits, you can also join an online healthy cooking club, where you can share recipes or ideas for recipe alternatives. With the support of an online club you won't find yourself giving in to unhealthy food options containing high fat or high cholesterol.
|Write A Comment|