A Neglected Necessity
Neck support is very important for overall health. If you don't have good support, you could end up with various neck-related injuries. Some good ways to support your neck are:
- While standing or sitting: You should keep your head up; don't slouch or keep your body in odd positions. You should use a rolled-up towel or cushion behind your neck while sitting. If you're willing to pay for it, buy yourself a good neck support brace.
- While driving: You should use a soft cushion that will keep you in an upright position when you are on the road. You should sit straight with your head back on the cushion comfortably. The cushion should be really soft to absorb all the bumps on the road. If possible, get a cushion that can wrap around the sides of the head so that the curves on the road won't be as rough. Wear a neck brace if pain is severe.
- While sleeping: Sleeping is probably the most important time of the day to have good neck support. Don't use a pillow that is too high or too low, because it can strain your neck and disturb your sleep. A great pillow would be a water based pillow; they provide a lot of relief from the neck's daily strains. Water based pillows are not for everyone, though. Some might prefer an orthopedic neck support pillow. These pillows are usually made from foam and provide the same support as water based pillows. There are also buckwheat pillows which are more organic and extremely fluffy, but still provide support.
- Neck support braces: There are many neck braces available, so you must find the one that is right for you. Some braces are made from foam and others are made from metal. If your neck hurts a lot then you should get a metal brace; if it doesn't, get a foam brace. If your neck barely hurts at all, don't bother with a brace and concentrate on better posture to heal your injuries.
- Moisturizers and creams: Wear creams on your neck – any type of cream will do. Apply the creams where you feel the pain, and always behind the neck on the spine.
- Neck exercises: Doing exercises will help heal your neck and relieve pain. Roll your neck around in circles, but not too hard – stop if there is sudden painful pain in the neck.
Neck-related pain sometimes doesn't heal on its own. These methods are all effective ways to help relieve or heal neck injuries. If the pain persists, contact your doctor.
By Luke Anderson
Determine Your Parenting Style
By looking at your friends, family members and parents it's apparent that all parents have different styles.
read more / Parenting